Tuesday 22 September 2009

Disrespectfully Late! La Fiona McKenzie Visit

Last week brought a valuable visit from Fiona McKenzie, for which I was a little late. Fiona runs her own musical theatre company in Kilmarnock called Centre Stage and has a vast amount of experience throughout the music department setup within the Scottish education system. The talk from Fiona summarised brief moments of her career as a musician, teacher and entrepreneur, which I found inspiring, and not only detailed her actual experiences but also displayed her character and passion for what she does within music, both to benefit herself and the many people she has provided facilities and development for.
Although teaching is not of immediate interest to me I took many strong points from the things Fiona mentioned regarding her teaching career. Professionalism and an eagerness to succeed was discussed at length which gave me more clarity on how vital these attributes are. I also feel more focused and motivated with regards to working with others and developing my skills individually and also as part of a group.
I also took the time to talk with her co-worker Dan regarding my graded unit and pursuit of a position as a West End singer, from which I have arranged to make contact and hopefully visit and experience the ongoings at Centre Stage which I believe will assist me greatly in the completion of my graded unit.
Overall I found the talk very helpful and was enthused when hearing how much Fiona has enjoyed her career regardless of the downs and ups it has taken her through. It is always inspiring to hear someone of more experience assure you that working hard for your dreams does not lack common sense and is highly achievable.
Well that's all for now as I've got a Beatles song with awkward secondary dominants to analyse!
Who said it was all I-IV-V???

No comments:

Post a Comment