Friday 18 December 2009

That's A Wrap!

The last week of college before the holidays was contradictorily hectic and empty.
First of all I started my week ahead of schedule after submitting my entry for The 2009 John Lennon song writing competition two days earlier than needed. Although I was not completely satisfied with the final mastering of the recording I was happy enough to have my song considered. It was a big confidence boost being able to multi track different instruments all by myself and it was a reminder than I am maybe better at multi tasking than I give myself credit for.
Tuesday was all about performance as I started the day with some Christmas Carol rehearsal before performing at the lunch time carol singing in the union. I am not a big fan of Christmas and do not celebrate this Christian past time although I do respect their customs and took part in this performance with a smile on my face.
After a small break I went into the rehearsal rooms to practice with "The Beetles" for our evening gig in the theatre. We had completed our sound check in the morning and managed to practice our set twice before the final performance. I felt that our practice had a lot of energy and gained more the second time and further more during the gig itself. For me this build up of energy helped to improve our performance and I can see how this kind of positive attitude is essential in lifting the crowd regardless of how talented you may be as a performer. The gig came and went quickly and we received some positive comments from our peers. I enjoyed performing for my fellow students and also enjoyed taking the opportunity to get to know more of them better.
I had no classes on Wednesday but it was the day of my audition for Rocky: The Musical which I was looking forward to and was hoping for any type of involvement. I was told the audition went well but I felt my acting was mediocre and my singing was well below standard. It was great being involved and I am now more aware of the importance of delivering a quality performance at these early stages of project involvement. I have since been cast as "Tony" and am thankful that I will have the chance to add something of relevance to my portfolio.
Thursday was another empty day however music theory managed to prevail in it's usual format. We are currently working on transposition and intervals. I find transposition easy as it is a skill I have used a lot while teaching myself different instruments however I realise that I am not so strong with identifying intervals and again I have the opportunity to focus on a weakness and hopefully enhance so I can pass the final set of tests in this class. This was the only class of the day and with all my DAW work complete I managed to finish off college before the holidays with peace of mind.
I will now look forward into the new year and start focusing on my Beatles presentation, vocal presentation and also the up and coming targets set out in my graded unit action plan. My west end show research is ongoing and I am almost finished researching "Grease" which will be the third show I have researched and I feel I am gaining more knowledge in musical theatre.
Well like I said that's a wrap, so tune in next Friday to find out how much I have managed to fit into another week, after all it is just another week.
Peace and love,
Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment