Friday 13 November 2009

The Philosopher's Box.

I finished off my week at college by missing my train home by no more than 5 seconds, however for some reason this trivial issue lingered with me and whilst I sat in the semi-heated glass box on platform 2, I began to consider my varying journey's and the detail in each step made. I saw many points in this particular journey where I might have saved myself 5 seconds and achieved my goal of catching the early train and this led me to think about the planning of my graded unit. I am already slightly concerned that I have no experience as a West End singer yet I must collect enough evidence to prove that I can be a successful and professional singer in a West End show. I think that if I don't give enough attention to the detail in the planning stages then the final outcome may leave me in an undesirable position. I have also been affected by the lack of response I have had regarding local amateur societies, which is mainly due to me building up my hopes too early and maybe thinking with a hint of "everyone will stop to help me". I have managed to motivate myself again and realise that if some avenues I go down are a dead end then I just need to find another relevant avenue.
On the plus side I am eager and excited at the possibility of any involvement with the degree projects and in particular, "Rocky: The Musical". I believe that these types of opportunities will be the best for me to try and expand on my experiences and aim them towards applying for the position as a lead role or understudy in a West End show.
On Tuesday night 4/5 of Fuzzy Buck gathered for their second jam which went really well with everyone having an improved awareness and feeling for the 4 songs we are working on. I also managed to test out some of my recording set up and using Cubase I recorded some stereo takes of each song we were jamming on. Getting use to my home recording facilities will be essential for next semester when I plan to record myself performing different musical songs to include in my graded unit portfolio and presentation.
Wednesday saw me back at college and in band practice we spent most of the time working on our psychedelic composition which I think will give me scope to gather evidence showing aspects of my showmanship and acting abilities which will contribute towards my portfolio for the graded unit.
In research and analysis we looked at "The Beatles", also known as The White Album by many atheists. This is one of my favourite Beatles albums and I am very happy to be covering 2 songs from this album with the college band. For the presentation I am feeling confident and already have most of what I need to complete my presentation but as it isn't for a few weeks yet I have plenty of time to run over it and fine tune my performance. This presentation will also be another opportunity for me to demonstrate my acting abilities and communication skills.
Thursday always comes round too soon although I do enjoy the thinking time I get in the graded unit and music theory classes. If I haven't mentioned already I passed the music theory test I was dreading and am now cautiously moving on with the next outcome. The graded unit action plan is due to be handed in next Thursday and although I have completed it I will spend the rest of the week checking over the cohesion of my plan and also the detail and relevance of how I will shape my development towards providing an impressive portfolio as a West End singer.
As for my West End show research I have now moved on to The Lion King. I feel that my research of Les Miserable was too comfortable for me as I know and like this musical. I think that once I've completed researching The Lion King, which is less familiar to me, I can then look back and review how I researched Les Miserable and try to offer something different to the opinions I have held since I first saw Les Miserable.
This weekend I will not be moving from my home until I have made satisfactory progress with the song that I am intending to enter into The John Lennon Songwriting Competition 2009. I have a deadline of 15th of December to submit this entry and will report later on my progress.
That's about all for this week and hope that next Friday I have some more positive things to offer my blog book and the eyes of those looking in.
Daniel I Am.

No comments:

Post a Comment