Saturday 7 November 2009

The Week In Review: Part II

Firstly it's Saturday and not Friday so let's just get that out the way first. Apologies to anyone who tuned in!
This week at college was one of the first weeks where I felt in total control of all the subjects on my course.
Wednesday brought band practice and my singing lesson, both going well despite absences, and with new tutor Michael on board the band received a lot of direction and advice regarding our choice of Beatles songs and how we are performing them. Finished the proposal for my research presentation and am now looking towards creating the PowerPoint presentation that I will use to see, "What's Inside the Apple Corps?"
The day was topped off by confirmation that I have passed Outcome 1 of music theory and can now get on with Outcomes 2 & 3 which I feel more comfortable with. Gotta love your comfort zone!
For the graded unit class on Thursday we had Lorenz Cairns in for a chat who proved to be more helpful to my own cause compared to previous speakers. He talked about his experiences throughout college and becoming a session player/singer. His information regarding performing as an understudy in a West End show was very helpful and has given me a better idea of how to gain more experience through the possibility of being an understudy myself.
Session skills followed music theory and towards the end of the class we had a dozen or so musicians and performers in one session which brought a good atmosphere and gave more energy to the performance. Straying from the Motown collective we were given Princes' "1999" to perform and I felt we did very well and that it didn't feel to far away from the Motown vibe.
DAW class was cancelled so I finished off the day listening to some of the HN1 bands performing in their first gig of the year, I believe. I was very impressed with some of the singers and am now looking forward to shaking a tail feather myself.
I will report back next week regarding my West End show research and have also decided to shift my weekly blog to a Friday so that I can effectively report on my week and also make better use of scheduling in between college weeks.
Finally the great Fuzzy Buck are back! Had a jam last night with 2 guitarists I work with and also Steven, a bass player from my course. I am the front man of Fuzzy Buck and we partially split early in the year, however after finding a great bassist and drummer from college it looks like the Buck are back! Last night's jam went better than expected and I am feeling motivated again about writing and recording with other musicians again.
Think I'll leave it at that for this week and all being well I shall be back this Friday.
You, me and everyone else!!!

1 comment:

  1. HI Daniel. Your blog is good - there are lots of good points made and it is really good that you discuss your experiences inside and outside of college. Try to see if you can link your experiences in some way to the graded unit and to your job application - how has each experience helped to prepare you for the job at the end?

    ReplyDelete