Sunday 21 March 2010

Sunday Is Not Friday!

First of all I would like to apologise to all those who might of tuned in over Friday and Saturday only to find that Daniel had not done his weekly blog that he said he would do every FRIDAY! I think I had become over satisfied with my week's work and let this important task slip my mind. 2 days late but just as great I hope.
Today is the last day of my west end show research and after 21 weeks of disciplined study I have managed to compile an impressive compendium of research notes covering 7 of the current top ten selling west end shows. Each show has brought a different perspective on what goes towards making a successful musical, however I feel that this variety has taught me to be prepared as well as being knowledgeable in this field. The concept of turning any event into a musical performance seems to be the secret into mastering this art. I have been impressed with the creativity and discipline within each performance I have studied and see how a well practiced musical performer can develop an abundance of transferable skills that can be applied across many industries.
In first study I feel I struggled again after glam band practice in the morning, although this was the last week of this as we had our gig on the 17th March and was pleased to find out that our efforts were in aid of raising money for the disadvantaged people of Haiti who suffered through the impact of a recent earthquake.
The gig itself was impressive and I felt that the atmosphere was more positive in comparison to the previous gig held in the college lecture theatre. I think performing for strangers as well as fellow students brought about the urgency to perform well more and I believe we delivered. Our band Pink Panther went all out to showcase Glam Rock as we dressed up in mostly female clothing and painted our faces in true glam style. I felt our stagecraft was the most impressive feature of our performance and although random at times, it seemed to go down well with the crowd who have final say after all. The photos and video evidence will be a great help as I try to prove myself as an actor/singer and all round entertainer. These experiences have contributed towards my development in "playing the role", a skill essential in musical theatre.
Not a great deal happened on Thursday due to the gig the previous night however I did tiredly make it into college to meet the 4pm deadline for our Fabbri essay and can now look forward to the other essay in music history on the ever interesting Ted Adorno.
I have not done a great deal of work lately with daniel dundee or Fuzzy Buck due to college commitments however I have scheduled some practice and composing sessions for during the Easter break which should help us catch up on any missed practices of late.
I have spent my time lately planning the development of my presentation and portfolio for my graded unit and have now returned to my action plan to finish of the remaining tasks I set myself. I have planned some visits to the 2 local amateur societies and also Centrestage and am also waiting for the return of my west end lead/understudy questionnaires that I left with my tutor and previous MD. I feel that between these involvements and the research I have carried out that I have a great deal of focus regarding what is required of a west end singer and can now see that I am more than competent enough to carry out this role. All I need to do is to provide evidence of this observation to satisfy the interviewing panel as opposed to my challenging ego, which has had hard time dealing with my new disciplined routine.
Next week is the last week of college before the Easter break and I look forward to the start of the new bands and also recording vocal tracks for the session skills class. This will give me some piece of mind before the holidays as I plan to use this time to develop my portfolio and also tackle the Adorno essay. I have made good progress lately clearing my feet of outstanding work and also freeing up some time to give more focus to up and coming projects.
Tune in next week as I lay out my plans for the break and give you all an update on the progress of.........
"West End Daniel",
Peace out, love in!

No comments:

Post a Comment