Tuesday 13 October 2009

Holly Day Blog

It's holiday week, which means no college, but the blog is strong and must push on!
A good week at college, felt more in control of my week since I had all my assignments done.
My vocal tutor is leaving to sort out the problems in The Middle East, so good luck Mary.
The band had another Beatles composition to consider, same melody different accompaniment. It was "Ticket To Ride", which I know well in many forms, however I was surprised with the outcome. An impressive suburban funk track, tinted with some Celtic grunge!
Quite happy with my choice for the research presentation, was flicking through "Apple To The Core" which has many points of interest regarding Apple Corps and I have some of my own ideas.
Feeling a lot more confident with theory but know I'll need to keep fresh until test time!
The graded unit has had more attention this week and I think I've made some good progress. I have created a Gantt chart to manage my West End Show research, for which I'm now going to research 7 shows as that is the number of shows being re-cast by the company I am applying to. I have also identified 2 local musical theatre societies that I can contact and will do so very soon. Just to add to my planning document and start my research before the holiday is over.
Session skills was a good experience this week as we were asked to perform in a session like environment and had to rely on our reading skills whilst performing the Motown classic, "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted". I felt that myself and the other two in the trio read the music quite well and despite being familiar with the song we were performing, I managed to focus on reading the music and found it a great help as the top line melody had been improvised. Fun was had by all!
At home in the studio I'm finding my way more with Cubase and Reason and can now express my ideas a lot more efficiently and effectively which is motivating me to push on and find out more.
Overall I'm finding many inspirations and avenues of motivation as I realise the quality of musicians I am working with on my course. Although I don't know everyone that well I have been impressed with the individual abilities of my classmates and also the varied influences they speak of. The tutors are not bad too!
Topped off the week by starting the start of a new band with a bassist and drummer from my course. Don't know where it's going to go but I'm excited to find out.
Off to deal with my daily insomnia and save the world in my head. Allora proximo settimana.

No comments:

Post a Comment