Friday 29 January 2010

Semester 2

Well it's the start of a new semester and already I have many challenges to look forward to on top of all the additional projects I am taking on with other students. Although I am going to be constantly busy I am really looking forward to it all beginning and know that this level of involvement in different musical projects can only benefit my development.
There was no band practice this week as 3 of our members were otherwise engaged with external commitments so we have arranged to practice at other times to suit the needs of all. We have been progressing well which gives us the advantage of changing our practice routine however we must be aware that we can become too comfortable and ultimately affect our final performance.
A fresh start in my first study lessons as I look to choose some more songs to help my development and eventually be assessed on our final performances. Already I have started 2 songs of contrasting nature and hope that these type of performances will contribute towards the evidence in my portfolio.
The research class has been replaced by a composition class which will eventually see each student compose their own 3 minute song and score this to enable fellow students perform at the end of the year. I think that this is a very good idea as it is always good to see or hear another perspective with regards to your own creativity to ensure improvement.
There is little change to my timetable on a Thursday which sees music theory being replaced with music history, a subject with a lot less boundaries and varied opinions. This module will be assessed over 2 essays after studying the philosophies of musicologists and philosophers like Franco Fabbri and Theodore Adorno.
Our session skills class has moved into the studio as we look at production techniques and advance on to recording the material we have covered throughout our session work. I am excited by the prospect of the class as it brings forward the final performance and will help me develop and improve my abilities beyond the rehearsal room and also give me some quality evidence to include in my portfolio.
I am currently planning the full content and layout of my portfolio alongside considering the design and structure of the presentation I must give when being interviewed for the role of a lead or understudy in a West End show. I am more confident in the second half of the year that I have enough evidence and persuasion to prove myself as competent and interesting in either of these roles.
A new has been attached to my college week as I now have an articulation class on a Friday afternoon which is part of the conditional access to the degree program. This class seems to call on analysis and theory skills although I imagine I will find out more detail in the coming weeks. Best pay attention in the early stages!
All has been going well with Fuzzy Buck and daniel dundee as I make further steps to build the foundations of my own record label, publishing company and digital media studio. It has been very difficult keeping myself motivated as my ideas can be a huge financial strain on my personal life, however I know that the final outcome will prove beneficial in the later stages of my music career.
I shall sign off now and bid you all well.
Til 'moro brings us near,
Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment