Friday 22 January 2010

What A Week!

 This week saw the end of Semester 1 at college and it was quite a week in terms of final assessments, exams and presentations. I also managed to enjoy quite a bit of rehearsals and study both in college and with my own personal projects, which are growing all the time, much to my delight.
On Wednesday morning I managed to have a practice with the college band and we progressed very well with two cover songs and the beginnings of an original composition. We are a glam band and are performing our set to represent the best of British and American glam rock. We have chosen Twisted Sister and Kiss as the American representation and already we sound quite tight as a band when performing these songs. Our original composition is in a similar light and soon we will move on to other choices. This will give me a great opportunity to showcase my skills as a musical actor as glam is quite extravagant and requires a lot of quality stagecraft to represent correctly. I have had my feedback and grade for the Beatles band performances of last semester and was very pleased and motivated by the comments made on my performance and stagecraft. This will be further evidence as I attempt to prove myself as a capable musical theatre performer.
I am also beginning to develop my original composition and have been playing with various ideas but have yet to settle on something and build on it. There is a lot of variety in the instrumentation we are to compose for so many genres are open to be included, on a professional note I should find a theme and begin the detailed construction before it gets too late and I am rushed into producing poor quality.
Having passed all my music theory tests I have no stress of re-sits which should hold me in good stead for progressing well next semester.
We are now beginning to start working in the studio in session skills and hopefully soon we will be recording some of the tracks we have revised and I am told this is to be filmed which will contribute towards the evidence I need for my portfolio. I am beginning to see a lot more opportunities for providing this evidence and my confidence is growing all the time with respect to being a lead or understudy in a west end show.
I have been quite happy with my progress throughout semester one and see no reason why I shouldn't continue this trend into semester two and finish the year on a high. I have had positive feedback from all of my tutors so far and I know that the work I have done on the weaknesses I identified in my action plan has went a long way to improving my development.
We had another Fuzzy Buck meeting this week where we found out our guitarist is no longer available to play with the band, which was troubling to hear so far on in the project. After some discussion I have decided to take on the role as the other guitarist alongside lead vocals. This now leaves me with the task of developing a different kind of stagecraft with the band as I now have a guitar to manage. Bring it on!
Next week is the official start of semester two and I will return with news of what the future holds.
Until then,
I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment